(as principal supervisor):
- PhD: Dan Ward: “Hegemonic Masculinity and Violence in the Contemporary US Crime Drama”, awarded March 2013. Dan is now a Lecturer in Media and Cultural Studies at the University of Sunderland; see here
- MPhil (practice-based; photography portfolio and critical writing): Afsaneh Tayyar: “Place to Place: Nostalgia and Photography”, awarded August 2015. See Afsaneh’s work here
- MPhil: Calum Corser: “Live Music, Performance and Touring during the Digital Era”, awarded September 2015. Calum works for Odeon Cinemas and is a member of the UK Cinema Association’s Disability Working Group.
- PhD (practice-based; feature-length documentary, Ankara Rocks!, and critical writing): Ufuk Onen: “Ankara Rocks: Black, Not Grey”, awarded November 2017. Ufuk is a sound designer and producer, musician, documentary-maker and lecturer at Bilkent University; see here
Current PhD supervisions include:
- new philosophical concepts of labour and unemployment and state strategies of intervention
- BME readings of UK school curricula
- history of the survaillance of the British Communist Party
I’m available for further PGR supervision in all research areas covered on my website, including practice-based research. Please get in touch!